Sunday, February 5, 2012

First Days in Italy (Thursday Jan. 26-Sunday Jan. 29)

The days before class were filled with so much activity that it felt like a week had passed before classes started on Monday.

Thursday the 26th was orientation. We had to be at the hotel across the river by 9:00am. Because that could be a 20+ minute walk, we were out of the door shortly after 8:00am. Luckily, it was easy to find, so we found a quaint little café to have a real breakfast at. I had a hot chocolate (my first in Italy!) and a pastry that fell apart as soon as I touched it. Chocolate inside and outside, plus melt-in-the-mouth; I was in heaven! It was a great way to start the day.

The orientation started with us filling out information packets to inform whomever that we were living in Italy for a while. Eventually we received our official class schedule—none of my classes were dropped, and I only have classes until Wednesday! Just as I had planned. Now to just start them!

Friday was a shopping day. Jackie and I woke up early to walk to the mercato, which is an outside marketplace. We bought fruit and honey. Jackie was able to ask for her fruit no problem, but I could only remember ‘apple,’ so I got three of those. The honey lady was really nice and knew a good amount of English, so we had a mixed up conversation of Italian and English. She had five different types of honey—we bought the sweetest one.

Saturday was a day on the town. Jackie and I tried to wake up early. Not completely successful in getting dressed before 11, but we met up with Jessica and Kiersten midday to look for all our classes. All my classes are in a different building. No overlapping. Luckily, my Italian class is at the in between spot for every other class, so I will just be really close to class start each day for my oils and printmaking courses. Afterwards we were all whipped. There was an English mass at 5:00pm, though, at El Duomo, so we went there to finish the day.

It turns out my roommate Leah is Catholic also and wants to go to church every weekend! This was an unexpected and welcomed turn of events. I was planning on going to church every weekend, of course (I mean, I’m in Italy. Where there is a Catholic church on every street!). The rest of our apartmentmates were all for going with us, too! It was really nice to go to mass as a group.

We are all getting along really nice—accepting each other’s oddities and being totally open about our opinions. This honeymoon period is as much fun and fluffy, but also somehow grounded. I’m sure we will find things we just cannot stand about each other eventually, but for the moment, I believe we can overcome them.

Back to the mass for the moment. Before mass, Don Marco (the main priest), who speaks great English because he grew up in America, came up to us and told us about a youth group we could join. Immediately, my ears perked up. Youth group? Really? That would be so cool! After mass, I signed up, as did Leah (and maybe Jackie?), to the mailing list. They will be having a meeting next week to introduce everyone to everyone else! I can’t wait!

The mass was held in a side chapel. It was so cold! I do not think they attempt to heat El Duomo because everyone is in and out all the time. Plus, the place is huge! It would take a whole lot of electricity, which Italy does not have, to heat.

Getting off of the play-by-play, I will make a few comments on other topics.

Jetlag definitely had a hold on me during this time. It did not make me irritable, just tired. I was staying up to midnight or later, but waking up around 8. I forced myself to wake up at that time, but slept in on Sunday because I really needed to rest.

So far, I have been having difficulty with the language. Obviously, I don’t have the vocabulary yet, but it is still frustrating that I can’t even pronounce ‘grazie’ correctly! The way we say it in America is way too simplified. There is the rolling ‘r’ and the individual pronunciation of the vowels at the end with different ways of saying them than even Spanish. I wish I had my language class now so I could start to learn!!! Luckily, all the Florence people are chill and totally understanding. As long as I try to speak a bit, we can converse. Also, I either stick with Devon or Jackie because they have an intermediate understanding of Italian, which is so useful!

Classes start Monday the 30th! Yeah! Start at 8:00am and finish at 8:30pm, so I will tell you how it goes when I get to it.

P.S. I have not had my camera on me during this time because I would like to fully experience my first encounters with my eyes instead of through a camera lens—I do promise to get pictures of the places I have been in Florence, though! I will stake out the good shots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment