Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lake Garda (Sirmione) and back to Verona Part 2 (Friday 3 Feb.-Sunday 5 Feb.)


Here is a three minute slideshow of my adventure in Sirmione! I was excited to find our first sight was a medieval castle. It was very cool, with a moat, walls and everything castle. It reminds me that I would love to travel the UK and see all those castles, too...

I did a cool Photoshop with the pictures I took inside the castle.

So we were left to our own devices for lunch. It was cold, but Jackie, Gloria, our new friend Kerry and I walked a bit into the district behind the castle to find a place to eat. As to be expected, many of places were closed due to off-season and the cold. Anything that was open was expensive. Finally, we made it back to the castle and chose to split orders at an intimate restaurant.


And I had the best food so far in Italy. Jackie and I shared a serving of gnocchi. I had never had it before. When it came out, I was very unsure of what I was getting into. After a tentative bite, I needed no more persuasion. It. Was. Delicious. No words. In jumbled Italian, I think I managed to say something about it being super-awesomely-best to the waiter. Also a first, I had tiramisu. Kerry insisted we each get our own. Good thing too! It was delicious!



Time to head back to Verona! We had over two painful hours of free time. Any other night, the free time would be totally epic. Just not in below freezing weather. Luckily, it was not as windy as Florence. So we went through shop to shop trying to stay warm. I got a nice new bag for 10 euro.


My money is safe now, Mom!

Walking around, Jackie and I managed to get the attention of a Tin Man. He was really sweet and twitchy. Great moment to end the day!


Here is a minute slideshow of my final photos of Verona.


Dinner finally saved us from the cold. Another two course meal--are they trying to make us fat? It was so good! The wine was one of the best I had to date, also. A lot of bests in the food world for me today!

Discussion during dinner was very enriching, and us girls got to know each other a lot better. They kicked us out shortly after dinner finished, though, because the patronage was picking up. Another hour to wait before they would take us back to the hotel!

When Sunday rolled around, our plans were changed. Originally, we were going to stop in Padua, or some M-town, but for fear of getting snowed in, we just headed back to Florence. I did not mind that--I was tired and had homework to do! Also, I was then able to make the organ mass at the Duomo. Everything fell into place!

Unfortunately, all that time outside lead to a cold that has lasted most of the week. It is finally setting down today, but my poor nose! They do not have Puffs Plus kleenex here.

Cold, wind and snow are not stopping things from happening! Even though Italy seems to shut down during this time, I am still making the most of what I can get my hands on. Caio!

No comments:

Post a Comment