Thursday, February 16, 2012

Museo dell'Opera del Duomo


I had the coolio opportunity to have a free tour given by Don Mario in the museum dedicated to the Duomo. He and Fr. Neilson could probably talk for hours about art history--they both know a lot of fun stuff along those lines!

One of my favorite things to see in the museum was Michelangelo's Florence Pieta. Every art student knows about the Pieta in Rome. That one is behind a bulletproof glass. This one is unfinished, and has two more people in the marble. Mary is still holding Jesus' broken body, but Nicodemus and Mary Magdalene are also present. Nicodemus is actually a self-portrait of Michelangelo. He was more religious in his life as he got older, so I think that is why he put himself in such a position--holding Jesus.

Unfortunately, the piece was not completed due to his death, but I find this sculpture to be fascinating. I am not a sculptor, but I feel the need to touch and finish it. The grooves of the unpolished marble is prominent and let the faces of the four stand out as though gesture-sketched. The feeling is there, but the detail is yet to come. And no one ever will finish it. It is a sad sculpture in more ways than what it is portraying. It will never be seen in its full potential.


I could not decide to smile or not.
Torn between feeling psyched and the subject matter of the piece.

Overall, the museum had other cool stuff that was meant for it, but did not make the final cut. Or the pieces, such as John the Baptist and Jesus over the Baptistry doors were brought in so they would not be damaged anymore.

A huge sadness on that part! I knew that the Baptistry doors outside on the actual building were replicas and the originals were inside, but in the museum, I found that they were in repair and consequently not anywhere on display. I was floored by this. I had not wanted to do any touristy shot in front of the faux doors, and now I could not see the original ones! As an art student, I am heartbroken.

Other cool sculptures such as this one below were lined everywhere. Don Mario explained the disproportioned head of Mary in this statue (with glass eyes!) was such because it was meant to be seen from down below. The statue was made for the front of one of the designs of the Duomo, but was scrapped later for what they have now.

In situ, looking at the statue from where it was meant to be seen!
Lying with my back on the ground--not totally legit, but legit enough. ;)


And I leave you with these awesome photos! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment