Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Apartment (26-01-2012)

My view
My apartment is huge and gorgeous. It is in Piazza de Santa Felicita. I have three keys. One to get into the building, the other two to unlock my door. It took a lot of experimenting to figure out how the locks work. The lock is very tricky, and you have to turn the key most of the way, but not all the way, to open it. Luckily, Jackie figured out how it works before we were all out of the apartment and no one could let us back in!
Main hallway to my other roomies rooms! 

Still our room.

Jackie's and my room!
As one of the last people to arrive at the apartment, I was given the smallest and furthest room in the house. It takes a left and two rights to get to it. After a bit of arranging of furniture, the room has been successfully made ‘bigger.’ Because Jackie’s and my room is in the middle of the complex, it is also the warmest. Though the other girls have great window views and direct access to the veranda, we have no outside noise to keep us up and stay decently warm.

Yes, we have a veranda! The apartment is between the 5th and 6th floors, which is 6th and 7th floor to Americans. The complex does have a lift that fits two people comfortably, but we have been using the stairs a lot.
The apartment has two kitchens, two refrigerators, a dining area, some small eating areas, two and a half bathrooms, a living area with TV and three bedrooms for 6 girls. I have to say it is a pretty good deal!

We could not figure out how to get the heat working the first two days, but we were able to ask a maintenance person to come and show us how it works. Now we shall be comfortable! Because of electricity being difficult to come by (Italy does not produce any of its own), we have to be very conscious of how much electricity and water we use. So the heater only goes three times a day for 2 hours each time. Better than none! Short showers and turning off all lights is a must. Jackie and I have already successfully blown a fuse—we now know where the fuse box is.

It almost feels like two apartments for how big it is! I am so happy and blessed to have been placed in such a beautiful apartment.

2 comments:

  1. it looks amazing! it sounds like you are having a great time already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least, you made it look clean and organized despite its diminutive size. In most cases, if you have concerns, it is best to consult the landlady right away. I love your veranda, by the way. That's a good place for a quiet conversation.

    ReplyDelete