Monday, February 20, 2012

Homesick

I should have made a bet with myself because I called it.

I have been in Italy for almost a month now (I arrived January 25th), and when I was talking with my roommates about becoming homesick, I said I probably will not feel it until the third or fourth week. Most of them had it the first week. Done and over with, I guess. I, on the other hand, was completely at home in myself to be affected by it.

Cannot say that anymore! It is probably because I slowed down so much last week. I did homework, chores, and hung around our apartment this last weekend to get ahead before travel plans this coming week. Officially: I have no appetite. This is a classic sign of homesick/culture shock, so that is what I label it. I do force myself to eat, but I cannot seem to finish anything without feeling sick to my stomach. Even without eating, my stomach is queasy. I am sure it is not the flu, as these symptoms have lasted a few days already with no fever or nausea.

It was bound to happen, I know. I was thinking of home a lot more last week, which probably lead to this homesickness. It is a huge bummer. I am tired all the time, but I assure you I have had enough sleep--I am borderline oversleeping since these symptoms started. For now on, I am going to move forward and make sure I stay awake longer and keep busy outside of the apartment more. Social dinner on Tuesday, Ash Wednesday and the Venice trip to look forward to this weekend. That should cure me.

No comments:

Post a Comment