Friday, March 9, 2012

Classes: History of Christianity

As a Religious Studies major, I have had my fair share of Christian history. I accepted enrollment to this class because I knew it would fulfill the upper GS 1 requirement for graduation. Even if the class was a repeat, I would get the credit.

My background in my studies has definitely helped me in the class, but the readings and debates in the class are quite new and enjoyable. The readings are very diverse and from top-notch sources (St. Augustine and Gregory of Nyssa!). It does not feel like textbook reading, though sometimes the readings are really long. Like the Letter of Clement. Augh. In class we are allowed to ask questions and even debate about certain topics. Only a handful of the 30 students in the class talk, but the ones who do (including myself sometimes) are quite smart. It is a very bearable class.

Part of the class was putting on a presentation on a topic of your choice. I managed to become a part of a group doing their presentation on Mary Magdalene. Did you know she had a huge role in the early church? Also, for the first few centuries, women were a large part of Christian ministry. Anyhow, I was charged with how she was depicted in Orthodox vs Christian artworks. My type of research! That was good fun. We were the first group to go (wanted to get it over with!), and got an 'A'! Boo-ya!

I did manage to mess up the first two assignments, though! We were supposed to reflect on that week's readings and print out a 2-3 page paper with quotes from the text in it. I handed in a one sheet, handwritten reflection with no quotes. See the problem? I felt horrible and completely freaked out--I knew the stuff in the class, but I was not proving it! Luckily, the professor asked me to redo them. She said that it seemed like I knew what I was talking about in class and is giving me a second chance to prove myself. Thank goodness!

As the weather has warmed, the professor has taken us touring the local churches (one on every block almost!). Very cool to learn about history that is connected to a saint actually at the church it was named after! Because the class in on Monday morning, though, some churches do not open up to the public until the afternoon (on Mondays, almost everything is closed!). We did get to go in a church that had Padre Pio's cloak, though. I want to go back and take pictures!

Mid-term for the class next week! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment